Friday, February 27, 2009

Russell's Email 2-19-09

Man, it's true the saying, "(Sometimes) The days feel like weeks but the weeks feel like days." I'm so thankful to be serving this mission.
On Sunday Elder Davis and I had a really good day. We made a street contact that invited us back and when we went she wasn't there but her sister was! We set up a return appointment and that fell through but her sister called while we were at church and left us a message asking us to stop by.
We had a lesson with her and set her for baptism. Jamie is scheduled to be baptized on the 28 of March but she has a long way to go. However, I know the atonement is real and that it has power to change behaviors.
After that lesson, we had a lesson with the U. family (the ones who came to church seeking help.) We set both of the parents for baptism for the 14 of March and are focusing on the kids now. I don't think they will have much problem making this date, but we aren't going to leave anything up to chance.
Yep, that's right. We set three people in one day! I feel like I'm in south America :P
We are also teaching several less active families who are speeding towards reactivation. The B. family was at church and will be there again. The F. family just needs a little push and we are working with them. The C.'s are really progressing and moving along quickly. We are about to start meeting with the W.'s who I can relate to pretty well. The parents both ride/race bikes pretty heavily. I'm excited to see where that goes.
The Lord is aware of his children. I see that every day. Preach My Gospel talks about having faith the Lord will put people in our path, that He is preparing people for the Gospel, and I know that's true.
This week I had a renewed gratitude for the Atonement of the Son of God. Go look at www.JesusChrist.lds.org. Who can deny the Christ? He is the literal living son of our literal living God. Watch the video on www.mormon.org of "Mormons are Christians" by Elder Jeffery R Holland. Who can deny the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ? No one can if they are touched by the Spirit.
I love this work. I am often reminded of the statement "If the Church wasn't true, the missionaries would have destroyed it a long time ago." While this is funny, it's so true! No unhallowed work could move forward in the hands of 19-25 year old missionaries. This work HAS to be true. Try that logic.

Elder Hitchcock

No comments: