Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Russell's Email 4-9-09

This week was one of refiners fire. I love serving my mission, but occasionally the Lord sees fit to test us again. He always shows an increase in blessing as a result of the efforts we put forth though.
The week started in opposition as we had a zone conference where we hiked to the top of a mountain in Bootleg Canyon in Boulder City, NV. (That place has epic mountain biking. I was trunky for my bike.... bad, I'm only 4 months out. I shouldn't be trunky for anything.) As we got to the top of the mountain, we sang High on the Mountain Top and then we spoke about vision. As we overlooked Boulder City, Las Vegas, and Lake Meade, we learned about the Vision that Heavenly Father has for us, and how we need our own vision. He quoted Psalms, "Where there is no vision, the people perish; but he that keepeth the law, happy is he." I then got to speak on obedience and letting virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly. I loved being able to take part in the conference. My main points to get accross were, "You cannot live the spirit of the law without first obeying the letter of the law." and "A thought does not have to be bad to be unvirtuous." I think I made the example because during the hike to the summit, I saw two mountain bikers and, in passing, I checked out their bikes. I stood on top of this mountain and said, "was that thought bad? NO! but it distracted me from my purpose and left me unprepared to share the gospel if an opportunity had presented itself. A thought does not have to be BAD to be unvirtuous."
Upon returning to the chapel after almost being blown off the mountain by 50 mph winds, we sat together and President said something that still sounds in my mind. "If you have vision, you will succeed. If you don't, the people perish."
Another great blessing came when we receieved a phone call. A family of 7 just moved into our ward, and four of them are baptism age and have already been taught the Gospel. The C. family is getting ready now, and we are so excited for this work to progress even more.
I don't have time to write much more, but it's okay. I know this work is true, the Lord is at the head of it. I know that Heavenly Father loves his children, and I know that he wants us to be happy. This is the way, and it's the only way.

Elder Hitchcock

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haley, thank you so much for updating this blog and sharing Elder Hitchcock's e-mails. I love reading about his cool experiences. That's awesome that you sent his favorite recipe to that family. How are the twins? I remember talking to Elder Hitchcock while he'd be with the twins. He loves them so much. Anyway, thanks again!!! Have a nice weekend :)