Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Russell's Email 4-23-09

The past two weeks have been so good! I've seen the hand of the Lord in this work more than any other time in my mission so far!


We are getting some really amazing contacts and investigators lately. A fun experience, I might have written about before, but we had a family of 7 (four of them are baptism age) moved into the area. The Lord's hand has been in their life the whole past like... 3 months. They were taught everything by some other missionaries and then they moved into our area (hehe the Lord loves me too!) and now they are on fast progress towards baptism. I really love the C. family and it's awesome!


Another huge miracle that we saw this past week was we were teaching T. T. is 15, his girlfriend is a member and he has been coming to Church and seminary for like, 2 months. His dad was against him joining the church, so we kept teaching him. One of our last lessons, we had it at the Bishops house. When Bishop joined the Church, his situation was very similar to T.'s. We asked Bishop to share his experience and he did. The thing that made the difference for bishop, he and his friends and the missionaries fasted that a way would be provided for him to join the Church. A few days later, one event led to another and his dad gave him his approval. That was the challenge we gave to T. Well, bishop took T. home and met his dad, and now T. has a baptism date. It's amazing how the Lord provides ways for his children to keep the commandments.


Another experience that sticks out, I think I shared about before. We were at bishop's house and we challenged his daughters to have some friends over for a lesson. Well, we had one of the lessons the other night and it went really well. I called Bishop this morning and was talking to him, and we were talking about one of the young men, B. His mom broke her wrist and so some of her friends have been helping B. get to and from school. (they are both moms and return missionaries, and one is a ward missionary.) B.'s mom called the ward missionary and asked, "Joyce, what are ya'll teaching my son about celestial and terrestial and telestial?" She replied, "Um, we haven't been talking about the Church with him..." Eventually it came out that we had a lesson with him and she said, "Well, he is at the age that he needs to decide and find for himself what he believes." Um yeah, he's coming to Church!!!!!!!!


I'm so grateful to serve my mission. I'm thankful for the love of my Heavenly Father and for the difference that it makes. How I love this Gospel, and how I love to grow in it.


I hope these experiences help to build your faith and give you courage to open your mouth and share the Gospel. People need what we have in this restored gospel, but they typically won't take that first step. Elder Perry invited us to open our mouth and gave us the things we should say. The first to ward our neighbor and declare our beleif in the Savior. Then to open your mouth and tell the first vision in your own words. Last, to open you mouth and bear testimony of the Book of Mormon. Then he gave a great promise, "And now, if your joy will be great with one soul that you have brought unto me into the kingdom of my Father, how great will be your joy if you should bring many souls unto me!"


The Lord loves his children and wants them all to return home. May we take the courage to act and all labor in this rewarding work.

No comments: