Friday, June 12, 2009

Russell's Email 6-11-09

Hey hey hey,
So I was sure that I was going to be staying in North Las Vegas for at least another six weeks, but the Lord has other plans for me. I was transfered up to Ely NV which is 3 hours from everything and in the middle of no where. I am 3 hours from Salt Lake, 3 hours from St George, 3 hours from Las Vegas, 3 hours from Elko, and there is nothing here! I love it!
Ely is about 5000 people and is about 6500 feet elevation. I left vegas in a short sleeve shirt and melting hot, and now I am in cold 50-60 degree weather and I'm almost always wearing my sweater or jacket, (or both).
My new companion is Elder H. from Flordia. He has been out about 9 months and the only other missionaries close are Elder and Sister B. from Cookeville TN. It's neat to be around them, and our whole district is from the south, 3/4 from TN. Pretty sweet....
We work a lot more with the members here and they are wonderful. We have a baptism set up for Saturday, with 2 more perspective baptisms this transfer. It's such a blessing to serve here (OH! and I'm in a car so I get to ride my bike again FOR FUN!!!) and, according to the other missionaries, it's also an honor. Aparently, if you get sent to Elko zone (bapsically everything north of Las Vegas) President trusts you. I'm excited to be here.
I don't have to many stories yet, but this is a neat town. I love being a missionary and sharing the gospel.
I think the best experience thus far was a lesson with a lady named B. and her husband D.(who had an argyle Fox Racing hat... yes, I wanted to take it). We taught about the Restoration and shared scriptures from the Book of Mormon. It was a really neat experience because this lady truly wants to know. I love the message of the Restoration because a person will grow closer to God by abiding by this message than any other message. I know this is true because I am constantly growing closer to Him.
I really love being a missionary. This is really the greatest thing I could do. Serving the people of Nevada, serving my brothers and sisters is the most joyous work. I'm glad I am here. I wouldn't change it for anything!

No comments: