Thursday, August 6, 2009

Russell's Email 6-18-09

This week WAS BANGIN!
On Saturday we had a baptism of a 13 year old here in Ely NV! That was the 8th person that I have had the opportunity to be involved with that was baptized. It's so great to get to be one of the Lord's servants!
On Monday we had such an amazing lesson with one of our investigators down in Lund NV. That day was neat because we actually had dinner with her sister in law (H.) and H.'s husband. We knew that she had received her answer that the Book of Mormon was true. So we knew that she was ready to be set for baptism.
As we taught the Plan of Salvation, we taught about eternal families and how we can be with our families for forever, not "till death do us part." We read 2 Nephi 31:10-11 with her and then asked her to be baptized. Here's what makes this event better.
Her husband was baptized in Las Vegas while he was going to UNLV but fell away pretty quick because he didn't have much support. He never received the Priesthood so we challenged him to work to obtain that priesthood so that he could baptize his wife. He's going to work towards that as she works towards baptism.
Something they said has really stuck with me. She said, "Our marriage has been really good but as we have been reading the Book of Mormon together, we have grown closer and things are going even better." Truly, this Gospel is designed to bless the lives of families.
It's no secret about the time that I spent in GA and at home when I should have been on my mission. While this was a difficult time, I know that I am now better prepared to serve the Lord and testify of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. We had a lesson with an amazing member of the Church who is working back to activity. As he was reading the Book of Mormon, he read something that just destoryed his hope and he allowed Satan to test the waters and make him believe that he couldn't progress. I felt so great to get to share my testimony of the power of the atonement and I know he felt the spirit. It was an amazing night as we shared these feelings and beliefs.
On Tuesday I had the opportunity to give a short training on using the Book of Mormon more in our teaching. As I understood the importance of using the Book of Mormon more, I gained a greater love. Everyone has access to the Bible and so many have a faith and testimony of it, but the Book of Mormon is another testament of the Savior. We teach more from it because it confirms their faith in the Bible and helps others grow even closer to the Savior. I also read a really cool paragraph in Preach My Gospel as I prepared this short teaching. It said, "You too should apply this promise regularly to strengthen and renew your testimony of the Book of Mormon."
The promise that is referred to is Moroni 10:4-5
"And when ye shall receive these things I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto by the power of the Holy Ghost. And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things."
I have reapplied this promise and I want to invite everyone to do the same. Moroni doesn't say, "the lord will only tell you once" and I know that applying it again really does strengthen that testimony.
My mission is awesome, I love it.
I hope all is well at home and that everyone is being blessed.

Elder Hitchcock

No comments: