Monday, March 22, 2010

Russell's Email 11-19-09

Ah another week in Central LV...
This week was actually a special week and one unlike the others that I have had. On Saturday, an investigator we started teaching but gave over when the new missionaries came in, made a covenant with Heavenly Father and then on Sunday, received the gift of the Holy Ghost.
There's something very special about this investigator though. I have never talked to someone on the street who ended up getting baptized, until Saturday. I'll send a picture next week!
Other than that, things in Vegas are going well. I was sick last week, and then my companion caught my sickness. I'm recovering, and he is still pretty sick but we are trying to work as much as possible while staying well rested.
This transfer is about to close. I have learned a lot from the missionaries that I have served with and around, and I have also learned a lot from several of the members of the ward. One thing that I really want to do after my mission is take good care of the missionaries. To those members who might be reading this, especially those who have helped my companion and I while we have been sick, we're very thankful for everything you did!
I've also learned a great deal from other missionaries this transfer. One thing is, if you don't learn something every single day, you're not doing missionary work the right way. I've learned a lot over the past couple of weeks about personal revelation, my testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith and the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the Book of Mormon.
I had a super spiritual experience at District Meeting on Tuesday. We had an activity where I played the investigator, and 7 missionaries taught me the Plan of Salvation. I prayed really hard that I would be able to accuratly play the role of someone investigating the Church. I think I did a fair job, but I learned so much. One of the missionaries talked about faith and repentence, and for the moment, I really didn't know what those were. Another missionary actually offended me really bad lol. All in all, I learned that missionary work is not meant to be done quickly. The words of the Lord to the Prophet Joseph came to mind,
"But verily I say unto you, that it is not needful for this whole company of mine elders to be moving swiftly upon the waters, whilst the inhabitants on either side are perishing in unbelief."
There's no reason to rush through anything in missionary work. I have another year to serve, and that's plenty of time for me to talk to everyone, to bear my testimony slowly, and to share the gospel slowly. Speeding up lessons doesn't do anything.
I'm very thankful for some of these lessons, and I look forward to what lies ahead of me. I'm also thankful for the support of those who write me and email me, I cannot explain how much that means. Thanks so much!
To those who might not be members, I hope that you will take a few minutes and think about how you have felt as I have shared some of these things. As you do, remember, "But behold, that which is of God inviteth and enticeth to do good continually; wherefore, every thing which inviteth and enticeth to do good, and to love God, and to serve him, is inspired of God." I'd invite you to visit www.mormon.org and to chat with a missionary who can answer your questions.
I love ya'll and thanks so much for dropping by!

Elder Russell Christian Hitchcock

No comments: