Monday, March 22, 2010

Russell's Email 11-26-09

My title for this email was way to long. It was supposed to be, "Upper Respitory Infection, new missionary, and turkey bowl disaster"
Now to explain, over the past three weeks, Elder S. and I struggled a lot with our health. Finally, Monday night Elder s. had to go to the doctor (I was pretty much recovered). He had an upper respitory infection. So we pretty much coasted the past week of the transfer, and then he got transfered. I was sad to part, but I was even more excited for the new opportunity that awaited me.
Sunday night, the assistants make a special phone call to missionaries who are moving into leadership positions (new zone and district leaders, trainers, ect.) Well, another missionary in my apartment got a training call. At the end of their conversation, Elder B. asked to speak with me also. I answered and he said, "Elder Hitchcock, it's going to be a training party in the Oasis Landing!" My new comp is fresh from the MTC, Elder V. B. from St. Albert, Alberta. I didn't know something good could come from Canada, but he's way tight. I already love this transfer and I look forward to the next 5 weeks.
Now for the turkey bowl. I messed my anckle up, but I think I will be okay in a few days. Right after President told us to be careful and had his discourse we started, within five minutes I was on the ground. I can still ride my bike and all that, but some prayers for speedy recovery would be nice!
I wanted to share something I am grateful for, especially with the season. About two weeks ago, I was sitting in my chair at my desk thinking, "I feel like the same Russell who came into the mission almost a year ago.. Have I made any improvement or have I coasted for the past year? Am I becoming the missionary that I and my Heavenly Father want me to be?" These questions started to haunt me until a day or two ago. I felt really overwhelmed with the responsibility of training, and I cast my mind again upon this thought and I realized this. Over the past year I have developed into a strong teacher of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, my testimony has become firm and steadfast around the truthfullness of the restoration, and I've learned about patience, charity, and love for so many people! I'm so thankful for the time that I have to serve as a missionary during this season. As sister Christensen said this morning, "What better way to tell Heavenly Father you are thankful than to be serving a mission!"

No comments: