Thursday, January 1, 2009

Russell's Email 1-1-09

Wow, I wish I could explain how the mission is! But, as Nephi says, It sufficieth me to say IT'S ROCKIN!
So my teaching area is in Henderson Nevada, on the east side of the valley. It's a really richy area, and is known for it's little success. Last month the zone baptized only 9 people, which is kinda low for here. Anyway.... I love it here!
My first week was major adjustment for both my companion and I. Elder Davis was on a special assignment last transfer with a missionary who didn't get along with many people. So he didn't work much, and going through the process of reworking everything has taken some time. Our numbers were really crumby last week, but on Monday alone, we exceeded everything we had done the week previously. It was amazing, and the work is continuing to go forth.
A neat experience. Elder Davis (my trainer) gave me the phone and told me it was mine for the day. I wanted to tell the Primary President we would come visit her in the evening to recieve 5 names of less active, part member, or referrals that evening. She said, "I can give them to you now!" So we took them down and we were walking to an appointment when we decided to stop and see one of them.
So, rewind to leaving the apartment. We prayed for someone to teach and asked that we could be an answer to someones prayers. As we stopped to see her, she opened the door and was leaving as we arrived. We spoke for a few minutes and turned that interaction to a "referral received, referral contacted, other lesson taught, and investigator." As we walked off, she said, "you are an answer to my prayers." Can you say aMaZiNg? I witnessed it.
I can't help but think of the Standard of Truth often. I love the words of the Prophet Jospeh. They ring true, and the Spirit testifies to me each time we talk to someone.
I love this quote, it reads, "Faith is the power, obedience is the price, love is the motive, the Spirit is the key, and Christ is the reason." I have it on my planner and see it often. This is truly the work of the Lord.
Congrats on taking the missionaries to dinner. Your willingness is for sure blessing me. I have not bought a single bit of food. We have been fed every single night and, after doing some service, a member said, "let's go to the grocery store. You have 15 minutes, and 15 items each." Yeah... I'm being blessed by that willingness. The members here are really amazing. As for [a person that recently "bashed" with the missionaries in our parents' ward] though, oh well. People want to bash, and missionaries get out. That's how we work.
Elder Kikuchi came about a month before I got here and gave some awesome training. One of the things he adjusted were the contacts we made on the street. we are supposed to ask, "Did you know that you have a loving Heavenly Father who knows you personally?" "Did you know that he has a plan for you individually to return to him?" "Will tonight at 7 or tomorrow at 7 be a better time to share more of this plan that has been revleaved?" If they say no, then they have not been prepared. You thank them, testify, and find someone who is ready. I love it.
The work is great, and I am excited. Elder Kikuchi made a promise before I came. He said, "If a new missionary will baptize in his first transfer, he will baptize in each one after." That's our goal. And the work is slow in this area so the Zone is fasting to find new investigators through our efforts, and for members to give us referrals. Would you fast the rest of today and support our Zone in this work? I know that the Lord will hear and answer the prayers of our fast because in the Pre-Earth Life he lost 1/3 of his children. Is there any doubt he would answer the prayers of his servants so that we can help to bring the other 2/3 back to him? I promise that we will succeed in this work, but I promise in the Savior's name that if you will help support, that the work will speed up faster. The field is white, already to harvest, in the east, and in the west. From the rolling hills of TN to the deseret of Las Vegas.
I hope to hear from you soon. I love you all and I am thankful for the support you give me. I was really excited to hear about your Christmas, and to speak to you then. I cannot wait to hear back from you.

Elder Russell Hitchcock

No comments: