Monday, January 19, 2009

Russell's Email 1-15-09

I have to start by complaining for a second. I don't like technology sometimes. I just lost an email. Blasted Novel.... Oh well.
Okay, so round two. This week has been nothing short of amazing. I want so badly to have my other email here so I can share all these things, but I will try again.
This week was really good. I had an exchange yesterday with Elder Barclay who came here to do a baptism interview. We had a fantastic day. First off, we had a baptism interview for Serenity . She is a 9 year old from a fully active family and has a brother about to go on his mission. How she wasn't baptized, I don't know. We have her baptism for Saturday.
We also taught our investigator, Katerina. It was a really good experience to teach her. She has a lot of sketchy stuff in her life and she was expressing some concerns so we taught her about prayer. As we taught, we prayed with her and then had her pray. Hearing her pray was really neat. Some of the things she said I thought, "Did she REALLY just say that???" But as she prayed, I realized those really were the things in her heart and I felt the Spirit.
We had a special appointment that bailed on us, but we went to talk to him anyway. This is the powerful message of the lesson, The Lord is ALWAYS mindful of his children. I'll tell you the story.
Sometimes missionaries keep super crummy records. We came across this record of a man named Don. He had been taught, set for baptism, and then it just all stopped and there was no reason for why. Elder Davis and I decided, "this week we are going to find Don ." Well, about 4 hours later, we got a phone call from another missionary in a different zone, Elder Kerr. He told us this story and gave us a referral.
"I was riding my bike on the wrong side of the road and thought, "I shouldn't be over here." I crossed and about 20 seconds later I ran into this guy. He said, "I was hoping you were going to stop and talk to me. I was almost baptized but I had an addiction problem. I'm clean now and I want to take the lessons."
We received the referral to go and teach Don. It's true, Heavenly Father loves all his children and knows what is best, and when it is right. I'll never forget that experience.
Also, it happened yesterday. I contacted someone..... ON MY BIKE. We were riding to our dinner appointment and there was a man behind me on his bike. We let him catch us and started talking to him. As we talked we learned a little more about Rick. We have an appoinment with him and will let you know how it goes. I think he could be ready with his family. He said he was looking for Church and had seen our church up on the hill. I am excited.
The pictures are funny. Elder Davis and I made the pond for a wedding reception, and we were proud of it. The scarry one is Elder Ramos, my Zone leader. The other is a 30 inch pizaa, and yes, we ate the whole thing. And.... the other is the airport!
Gotta, go, sorry this one is shorter.

Elder Hitchcock



No comments: