Thursday, January 1, 2009

Russell's Email 12-15-08

I can't reply to everyones email so I will write and send you all a group one!
Thanks so much for your letters and all your encouragement! The MTC is so amazing and I love it. I'm not going to lie, it scares me that next week I will be leaving the MTC and traveling to Vegas.
Everyone note, I will be flying out on Monday the 22 and I will be at the SLC airport around 8 mountain time. I will also be calling sometime on Christmas, so everyone be expecting it please :)
Things here are so wonderful (except this key board is totally awful!) On Sunday during leadership meetings my branch president came in and asked my companion and I to grab our jackets and come with him. We sat down in front of the branch presidency and he said, "You two Elders have been called as our new distrcit leaders." (Note, we were called, not given a choice.) That was really neat and we will serve for one week (ie until we leave). After learning of our duties we have interviews as missionaries do each week in the MTC. Brother Stacy, a member of the branch presidency interviewed me and told me this. He said, "I want to share with you my feelings on this calling. As we prayed and spoke about who should replace the zone leaders, the thoughts and names of Elder Hitchcock and Van Etten kept coming back. I know you were called for many reasons, but one reason I believe was this is the Lord's way of saying how your repentance was acceptable." That was music to my ears and I had a burning confirmation that was true. It have given me some amazing courage to keep doing what I am doing!
I also have an awesome opportunity coming up tomorrow. My district was asked to particiapte in a training with some of the Missionary Department so they could observe the teaching here at the MTC. We talked about it, and we were told we could end up teaching Elder Holland and Perry, and other members and general authorities from the missionary department. Holy SCARY! I mention this to Brother Stacy after his commment and he smiled and said, "It will be more intimidating to teach someone whose soul still hangs in the balance." I thought that was a super good insight!
Things are going really well, and I am really happy. I am teaching so much more and I feelt the spirit teaching through me. I have come to love Preach My Gospel and I want to be a Preach My Gospel missionary. The Lord has blessed me so much, and helped to uplift me. I have come to love all the words of How Firm a Foundation, especially the last verse. it goes,
The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose,
I will not, I cannot desert to his foes.
That soul, though all hell should endever to shake,
I'll never no never, no never forsake.

This gospel is true, I love it.

Haley, I cannot receive pictures.
I love you, and I pray for you often.

Elder Babycakes!
3 Nephi 9:14
I love this scripture, everyone should memorize it!

No comments: