Thursday, January 8, 2009

Week 3: 1-8-09

Things in my area are picking up so much. My first week we lucked into teaching 3 other lessons (an other lesson is two princiles taught, and a pray (if possible.)) So we did 3 other lessons my first week, and now we are teaching more than 20 a week! We are still looking for those to bring into the Church, and we are focusing more than ever on teaching the members so we can receive referrals. I am sure we will being to see those who are ready soon.
I have had some super neat experiences, from being cussed out by an old man in a walker to seeing prayers being answered. I really enjoy serving the Lord.
In Las Vegas we have a unique program called Truth Restored. We have billboards and business cards that have pictures on them with "The Truth about life's great questions is now restored" and the mormon.org website on the back. I'm not going to lie, it's pretty awesome! Apartently, it's kind of dieing out because we were a testing ground for the Church, but I was talking to my grandfather (my trainers trainer) and he said, "I was losing truth restored, but what you just said brought a whole new perspective to it." When I give out a card, I try to pick one out for each person and I tell them that. "Sir, this card has a picture of a daughter with her father. I see that you are with your daughter at the park, and I can tell you realize the importance of that relationship. Before I came on my mission, I lived with my sister and brother-in-law after they had twins and a two year old! I really began to realize the importance of family and I wanted to share how this gospel can bless your family like it has mine." Those who were not receptive at first can rarely shoot down such a statement.
Another thing my companion and I are doing is called "Day by the way" or "Day of Valor." This is another program that is dieing in the mission, but it really awesome! Basically, people tell you "I'm not interested." Day by the way, or day of Valor, gives us an opportunity to account for those who choose not to listen to us. The object is to talk to ten people throughout the day and try to share the gospel with them or talk to them about eternal things. It's a really neat program.
While are area is still slower as far as investigators go, it is for sure picking up pace. Elder Davis and I are working harder than ever and really getting a lot more done. The members are becoming more involved and the work is moving forward. Each night we account for our key indicators (numbers that help us reflect on how effective we are) and then we update our weekly goal board. I look at it and I can only think about the Standard of Truth.
Well............ That's about it for the time being.
OH! We have a baptism on the 17th! There is a totally active Samoan family who has a 9 year old daughter that.... just never got baptized. So, we lucked into a baptism. Teaching her (Serenity) is a really neat experience because we have to teach how Preach My Gospel is worded, as simple and basic as possible. That's where the truth power is.
I know this Church is true, and I am learning new things each and every day. It is no wonder in my mind that Heavenly Father loves each of his children and that the Plan of Salvation is the way for us to have joy. I know it's true!

Elder Hitchcock

No comments: