Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Russell's Email 12-24-09

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for everything that everyone sent, it made me have a very merry Christmas!
This week has been another really fun week. I absolutly love talking to people on the streets, even to those I can't (spanish ppl). I also love being a missionary in this special Christmas season. Everyone is so much more open to hearing a message about Jesus Christ!
I think the greatest time this week is when we were teaching an investigator, Q. As we were teaching him (I was with one of the Zone Leaders) He looked at me after about 15 minutes and said, "Preacher, I ain't feelin' this today. I know about Adam and Eve, tell me something that's going to give me strength to get through today!" I was blown away and bummed, but we quickly adjusted our lesson and taught about faith from Ether 12 and then taught keeping the sabbath day holy, reading scriptures and praying daily. We talked a bit about Sabbath, and he said he wanted to fast, so we fasted with him. Yesterday, we had a lesson with him and then played basketball after the lesson with a bunch of people. Q. is 47, about 6'4" and about 230 lbs. He played ball for the Oregon Ducks back in his day. SOOOO FUN! Elder V. B. played college ball up in Canada, so I think that helped us become more real and normal to him. I think it was a great lesson.
I've tried to write back all the letters that have sent me, and I have returned all of them except for ones that I got on Tuesday. I know the mail is slow because of the season, but I wanted to say thanks for the support, and Merry Christmas.
I think I would be kind of lame if I didn't wrap this up with my testimony about the Savior. Something I have been pondering and seeking these past few days is a better relationship with him. Elder V. B. taught me something the other day, that no matter how strong our testimony is of the Savior, it can always be more. I have been seeking that and I have found it. This morning I read about where, in perfect humility and service, Christ washed the feet of his apostles. Peter, not understanding refused, and then realizing he didn't understand, pleaded for the Savior to also wash his hands and head. Christ taught him, but it was in pure love. He then taught the beautiful principle of service. "If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also aught to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done unto you." The best way we could show our gratitude to the Savior is by serving others. Spreading the love in this Christmas season is the key. I know this is the best thanks that I could give my Savior.
Please remember this, without Easter, there would be no Christmas. As we focus on his birth, don't forget about his purpose here, that was to preform the ultimate act of service in the atonement.
I love you all, thanks again, and Merry Christmas!

Elder Hitchcock

No comments: