Thursday, November 4, 2010

Russell's Email 6-24-10

okay, so some really neat stuff has happened this week. I am excited to share with you about it.
The first involves Elder P. who finished his mission this Tuesday. Multiple times he talked to me and told me, "I just can't wait to get home and go straight to my dad's grave. That's the one thing I really want to do." Well, the mission secretary confirmed flight plans with all the missionaries and told Elder P. his flight left Wednesday at 7:30 (but his flight plans he received a few weeks ago said he was flying out on Tuesday). Elder P. wrapped up his final interview with President at the mission home and then President asked him, "Elder, is there anything else I can do?" (note, this question was asked at 6:12 pm) Elder P. said, "Yes, can we check my flight plans real quick?" Turns out his flight left Tuesday night at 7:30. President asked, "Should we try it?" They tried. As they left the mission home "with haste" (president said) President asked, "Do you have your license?" "Nope, I don't have one of those." oh dear... "Do you have your passport?" "Nope, they took that when I came into the mission." So they booked it to the mission office. President said he is not very good at remembering sequential numbers, and they had just changed the code to the safe. With the blessings of heaven, President opened the safe without problem and handed Elder P. the box of passports on to find his. Then, running in a dead sprint into the airport, they got to the ticket booth and the lady said, "I'm sorry but this is an international flight and you have to be checked in at least an hour before hand." (the time is 6:50, 40 minutes till fly time) The next available flight was standby in 3 days. Elder P.'s mom was coming to Tonga from New Zealand to meet him. President and Elder P. stepped back and offered a prayer, at Amen they hear "ALOHA!" Elder P. responded "Aloha" and then the lady asked him a question in tongan, which he replied in tongan. She then went to work and in the process of her working, they found out she was a supervisor. The first ticket agent reminded her, "The flight is already closed." The lady replied, "This man works for God." and kept working. She told Elder P. to put his bags on the scale, and one of his bags made weight, the other was 76lbs. Elder P. started emptying his bag, including a 2.5lbs pair of jeans. He got it to 52 and she said that was good. "You're ready, but I can't help you through security." President said his heart sank as he recalled standing in the security line for well over an hour with so many missionaries. As they rounded the corner, there was not a single person beside the TSA agents. They went up to one and the agent commented on how he must have served faithfully. Elder P. made it safely home.

As President recounted this story at Zone Leader Council, I couldn't help but cry and feel such a great and deep gratitude to the Lord for helping Elder P. get home. "All I want is to see my dad's grave." The Lord provides. In his closing testimony he said, "I know it's late, but I want to wish all the fathers a happy Father's day." Few people know the the true sacrifice this missionary made, but the Lord knows and he carried an amazing spirit with him. I feel so lucky to be a part of his mission.

On another note, Elder D. went home, but my boy, Elder V. B. is training a new missionary. Included is a 4 generation picture of missionaries. Oldest from right to left.

I also have a new companion, Elder B.. There's a picture of us on here. He flies home with me, but I have been in the field a transfer longer because he is a Spanish missionary.

Also is my favorite picture I took at Nellis Air force base. It's the front of an F15 aggressor. The other is me standing with a F15 aggressor. sweet stuff, the base is awesome!
Dinner last night was also really exciting. We got there right before the NLVFD (fire department) got there. The brother feeding us was about to grill steaks and his propane take caught on fire. That was pretty exciting lol.

It was a really eventful week and lots has happened, but it's been fun. I look forward to another great transfer! Love ya'll, have a great week!

No comments: