Monday, November 8, 2010

Russell's Email 9-9-10

Everyone,
The most trunky thing is when you say "Don't be trunky." Again, I really cannot wrap my mind around my mission ending, and so I won't be trunky. lol just don't talk about it. Thanks :)
Things in the area are going super well. E. got baptized last week and A. is set for this weekend and C. and her daughter are set for Oct. 2 and we are working with another young man named C. towards baptism. The area is going very well, and I think that we are maintaining the work in a way that could last me for the rest of my mission if I end here. I'm really having a great time and this transfer is winding down to a close and I look forward to starting up another one.
I had a really great lesson this past week. Saturday I got a phone call and President Christensen was on the phone asking for details about my baptism Saturday night so that could be one of his backup plans. He told me, "Appointments are falling through. I've had 4 lessons I was supposed to go to and they have all fallen through." I said, "President, we have one in 10 minutes with a great investigator if you would like to go." He came to the lesson along with another recent convert priest age kid who is just awesome. The spirit was really strong and I felt so much desire to really involve the members and help them see the importance of member missionary work. It's been great.
This transfer is finally coming to a close. I often think about dad's statement, "It's been real, and it's been fun; but not real fun." Next Tuesday marks the close of the most difficult transfer of my mission. I have learned a lot and have improved a lot, including "putting off the natural man and becoming a saint through the atonement of Christ." I have developed a deeper conversion to the gospel of Jesus Christ. This has come throughout the transfer as I have come to understand the doctrine of Christ, as I have learned to rely on the spirit since I don't have a zone leader companion to rely on. I've learned how to "fill my reservoir" during my personal study and I have learned to teach towards baptism because that's my calling . I have come to know the Savior better as I have walked with him down the streets of Vegas while he walked the streets of Jerusalem. More than anything, as I have come to understand the doctrine of Christ, I have learned what President Christensen stated. "Love is the foundation of the Doctrine of Christ." How I love being a missionary and love serving the people. I'm having a great time!
Oh my Goodness! I just got a tie and a letter from the C. family! we're going to visit them when ya'll (our parents) come to Las Vegas! I love these kinds of notes and letters because they help me fill that my purpose is being fulfilled.
Later folks! I love ya'll lots and hope that you have a fantastic week.

No comments: