Thursday, November 4, 2010

Russell's Email 7-1-10

I had some sweet experiences today. Do ya'll remember Elder B.? I served with him in a 3 pack for a week when I trained Elder V. B. Well, he is training and yesterday I had the opportunity to go on exchanges with Elder B.'s new companion Elder H. We had an awesome exchange that was filled with every aspect of missionary work. We spent the whole morning finding, and the rest of the day teaching. We set two people for baptism, had a lesson with someone who is currently set for baptism, and had a sweet lesson with some less active members. I think the less active members was my favorite lesson, I will tell you about it.
So we have this object lesson using cups and butter knives (I'll send a picture home) but you use the knives on top of the cups to hold your scriptures up off the floor or table. Well, we use the knives to represent scripture study, daily prayer, and sabbath day. so to start we made them figure out which commandments they were. A little nine year old says, "Go to church!"
and I said, "PERFECT! We have to keep the Sabbath day holy, part of that is going to church!"
"No it's not." Replied the less active member. "I don't need to go to church to pray, or to learn about God, or to read my scriptures."
"Right! But there is one thing you cannot do at home that makes church necessary! The Sacrament!" Elder H. replied.
"But the sabbath day is on Saturday, not Sunday. The pagans changed it because that's when they worshiped their Gods."
"Actually, after the death and resurrection of Christ, the followers of Jesus began to meet on the first day of the week (Sunday) to commemorate the resurrection." -me!
It was a really fun lesson that really shocked me because a less active member challenged me. I dunno.
This week has been fun and I have really enjoyed it. It's been really hot though, it's hit 116 already, and I don't think it will cool down to much anytime soon. lol pray for me.
Love ya'll! Have a great week!
Russ

No comments: